- CE Marking Guidelines – European Union summary of requirements to obtain and display the CE Mark on applicable products.
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Guidelines for Product Labeling – FCC publication from the Office of Engineering and Technology (OET) explaining product-labeling and user-information requirements.
- Elite’s Guide to E-Marking for Vehicles and Electronic Subassemblies (ESAs) in Europe — Publication describing the rules and testing required to receive the European E-Mark for vehicles and their subassemblies.
- Canada Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) Frequently Asked Questions on Product Requirements — Summary of regulatory requirements for products marketed in Canada.
Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Requirements
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Rules and Regulations
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Equipment Authorization Procedures
- FCC Office of Engineering and Technology (OET) Knowledge Database (KDB) — Equipment authorization procedures and measurement guidance. intended to assist in following Commission requirements and do not constitute rules. Accordingly, the KDB guidance is not binding on the Commission and will not prevent the Commission from making a different decision in any matter.
- The Official Journal of the European Union — The main source of EUR-Lex (European Union Law) content. It is published daily (from Monday to Friday regularly, on Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays (only in urgent cases) in the official EU languages
- EU Radio Equipment Directive 2014/53/EU — The EU regulatory framework for placing radio equipment on the market, setting essential requirements for health and safety, electromagnetic compatibility, and efficient radio spectrum use.
- Canada Spectrum Management and Telecommunications — Radiofrequency spectrum access in Canada by issuing authorities for its use, minimizing interference, and securing Canada’s access to it through international negotiations.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Society – Professional and standards-setting organization for the EMC industry.
Environmental Testing Requirements
- MIL-STD-810G: Environmental Engineering Considerations and Laboratory Tests – Downloadable PDF of MIL-STD-810G, covering environmental test requirements and procedures for vibration, temperature, moisture, and related environmental effects.
- Radio Technical Commission for Aeronautics (RTCA) DO-160 Airborne Equipment Environmental Requirements – Summary of DO-160 environmental requirements for airborne equipment.
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Specifications for Obstruction Lighting Equipment – FAA Advisory Circular giving requirements for obstruction lighting.
- FAA Engineering Brief (EB) 98 — Infrared Specifications for Aviation Obstruction Light Compatibility with Night Vision Goggles.
- US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) Part 108: Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment – Federal vehicle lighting requirements.
Laboratory Accreditation and Standards Reference
- American Council of Independent Laboratories (ACIL) – Trade association for independent testing laboratories.
- American Association for Laboratory Accreditation (A2LA) – Accreditation body for test-laboratory conformity assessment.
- National Voluntary Laboratory Accreditation Program (NVLAP) – Third-party laboratory accreditation agency connected to the US Department of Commerce.
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO) – International non-governmental organization of 167 national standards bodies.
- International Special Committee on Radio Interference (CISPR) – (French acronym for Comité International Spécial des Perturbations Radioélectriques) Global standards body publishing EMC standards referenced around the world.
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI) – Independent organization coordinating voluntary standards in the U.S.
- European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) – European standards organization dealing with telecommunications, broadcasting, and other electronic communication services.
Information you need when planning a product test
When planning to market a product, it’s critical to have information about standards, regulations, and technology. Elite offers these links as a starting point to get the background you need.